- Zankel Hall, the newest of Carnegie Hall’s three auditoriums, occupies a space that had previously undergone several transformations. Underneath the main hall, the original version of the space was the 1,200 seat Recital Hall. In 1896, the venue was reconfigured as the 800-seat Carnegie Lyceum. It became an off-Broadway theater called Carnegie Playhouse in 1956, and in 1961 was converted to an art film movie house called Carnegie Cinema. The venue was completely rebuilt between 1999 and 2003, when it reopened as the 599-seat Zankel Hall, named in honor of Carnegie Hall Vice Chairman Arthur Zankel and his wife, Judy.